While you can order pizza or make it from scratch at home, sometimes you really just want that pizza in front of your now! So, far from losing it’s great taste, this Bar-Style Tortilla pizza with arugula and salami is a fun way to get that full pizza experience fast. In other words: it’s easy.
For this bar-style pizza, the combination of salty salami and fresh arugula offers a twist to a classic favorite. I used to lay the salami so it would overlap each other over the dough before baking, but since I’ve discovered that cutting it in half and evenly distributing it over the surface is the way to go. This way, every bite gives me a mix of salami, cheese and extra thin crust after baking. And since it’s a very forgiving recipe, you can play around with the toppings, as you like. I added a little bit of onions and peppers for extra taste this time round.
Once it’s fresh out of the oven, the pizza is sprinkled with arugula so it’s tangy flavor cuts into the saltiness of the meat. And when you’re ready to pick up a slice, the crispiness of the tortilla crust will give you that crunch you’re really looking for – making it another favorite on the menu.
So when you’re thinking about making it from scratch using a pre-made dough or you’re waiting for a Pizza Pizza delivery (hoping they’ll be in traffic for 45 minutes so you get it for free), I say stop placing the pizza low in the catalog of “taste”. Rather, start indulging in pizza by making it at home with tortilla 🙂
Bar-Style Tortilla Pizza with Arugula + Salami
Prep time: 5 min.
Cook time: 10 min.
Ready in: 15 min.
What you’ll need:
- 4x 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- ¾ cups tomato sauce (you can also substitute for pasta sauce)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 50 grams of salami (from the meat deli)
- ¼ onions, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 large handful of arugula leaves
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper if you don’t own a pizza pan.
- Prepare the tortillas by spreading 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce onto each tortilla and using the back of your spoon to help distribute the sauce evenly. Leave about 1 cm around the edges for your “crust”.
- Take the mozzarella and sprinkle the same amount on the surface of each pizza so that it covers the sauce. Follow by adding the salami, onions and red peppers.
- Place the pizza on the middle rack and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the pizza is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. What you’re really looking for is the leopard-spotted look on the cheese.
- When the pizza is ready, remove from the oven and top with arugula salad. Serve warm!